Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rant - Hansa the baby elephant dies

Ok where have I been hiding that I missed this piece of information!!! I LOVE elephants, they are my favorite animal above all others. And one thing I hate seeing is elephants in zoos. Elephants are just too big to have in confined spaces, and I could probably be easily convinced that bears and polar bears to name a few should NOT be in zoos.

I know that zoos are doing good things in preserving the animal species but anyone could see that the elephant are at Woodland Park Zoo is just too small for one elephant let alone 3 and a baby!

I would rather see these elephants be sent to live somewhere where they actually have room to roam and be elephants. One of these places here in the States is The Elephant Sanctuary in Hohenwald, Tennessee. These people truly love and respect elephants and I ask that you visit and donate to this worthy cause.

The second is The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. Dr. Dame Daphne Sheldrick is one of my heroes on this planet. She has saved, reared and released over 60 orphan elephants back into the wild to live life again. I have been the foster mother to two of these miracles, Mary and Tomboi.

I know it is a fantasy to think that zoos will no longer cram big animals into their small boundaries....but a girl can dream.

No comments: